Tuesday 10 May 2016

The Lamppost Petition

Hiya, 

I'm making a new show called 'The Lamppost Petition' - this title is taken from a story that my Nana told me. I would tell you the full story now but I'm saving it. Although, if you ask me about it in person, I will tell you the whole story from start to end without taking a breath. 


This is a piece about the things you never said and the questions you always wanted to ask. It’s the photograph you carry round in your purse and the sound of that song that tastes like apple pies (apples from the garden back home, you know?) 

Taking a look at aging as a social, political and personal issue, 'The Lamppost Petition' is going to be a performance about family histories, yarn bombers, Worther's Originals and how maybe we could do a bit more to support the older people in our lives. An examination of the stories given to us by our grandparents, and how these change as these people begin to leave the world... And a celebration of all the badass over-60's doing rad shit everyday. (Like these wonder women pictured below - who MAY or MAY not be Over 60.)


(Note: I am looking to identify the women in this picture in the hope to chat to them during the making of this show. This photograph was taken by me on the 4th October 2015 at the Take Back Manchester protest during the Tory conference. If you know who these women are, or someone who may do, please give me a nudge. If you somehow happen to be reading this and you are one of these women - HI! I hope you don't mind I've splashed your image all over the place and please say hello.) 

I'm making this show with the help of the North East Artist Development Network's (NEADN) 'Bridging the Gap' scheme, and this show will be touring to four venues in the North East in Autumn 2016. 

(More info about the two projects selected for BTG here)

I'll be making this show with help from charities and older people's organisations Equal Arts, Search Newcastle and Contact the Elderly and through these connections will be chatting to lunch clubs, knitting groups, bollywood dancing groups, choirs and (hopefully!) some people involved in CREE project (tbc). 

Looking at my own family history that stretches from Italy to Ireland to Retford, Nottingham and Newcastle, I'll be doing some weird stuff with paper and teabags. 

Tour Dates:

ARC Stockton - Tues 20th & Weds 21st September

Live Theatre, Newcastle - Weds 22nd & Thurs 23rd September

The Custom's House, South Shields - Weds 28th & Thurs 29th September

The Maltings, Berwick - Friday 30th September


The show will be accompanied by an installation where participants are invited to sit with me, have a cup of tea (or coffee if that's your jazz) and a biscuit and have a natter. There will be 'provocations' and questions on coloured strips of paper and the idea is that together we create a huge and ever-growing paper chain of memories, quotes, advice etc. A tea party without the twee but with the sweet sensation of satisfaction, sharing and storytelling. I will be trialing this installation at Dementia Awareness Week at ARC Stockton on Tuesday 17th May. 

Finally, if you would like to chat to me about aging, grandparents, family stories, the affect of our current government on the needs of older people or anything else (within reason!) then please get in touch. I will be holding a series of one-to-one and group chats and would love to hear as many family stories, accounts from grandparents/grandchildren/health-workers/individuals etc etc etc etc as possible. 

Recently whilst facilitating a series of 'Creative Age' drama workshops for people living with early stages of dementia and their carers, I mentioned this project to them and they all began to sing this song (George Formby - Leaning on a Lamppost). So here it is for you to enjoy! 

Hugs!

- Zoe xx


No comments:

Post a Comment